Sunday, November 20, 2005

shaba daba hoo ha dibby bibby bop

The other day I got the inclination to look for the best trip-hop albums that there were, because

1. All of the new music I was listening to that I really liked was stuff that I found out later to be labeled "trip-hop" and
2. I figured that somebody else, whose opinions were accessible via the Internet, was a greater authority on the subject and could point me to some sources of aural contentment.

Jesus Christ, was that a good idea.

But before I go on, I need to clarify something. "Trip-hop" is a pretty lame moniker, but is the one that the powers-at-be (possibly some stoner German DJs from 1994) have labeled it. I'd say it's something more suitable, a word that sounded like "oogashamanow" or "boppitydamnskip". Naming things in a manner similar to singing in skat is pretty fun, I should do that more often. Hey! How about the title? Whee!

Moving on...Since then I have found a multitude of the best music I've heard. Putting on my headphones, I fit into this music like a glove (why yes, I am poetic, thank you). It is right-brained, groovy, creative and chill. An aspect that is nearly required for the genre is a sultry female vocalist, which turns up the sex level to 11. Some groups sample more than others, some incorporate hip-hoppy beats than others, some are minimalist, some suck. Hank wouldn't lie about this, so here are some that do not suck:

Morcheeba
Portishead
Thievery Corporation
Massive Attack

Finally, though they aren't described by the formentioned genre, Boards of Canada is the most right-brained assembly of music you will ever hear. If circadian rhythms had a sound, it would be Boards of Canada. They rule so hard that I'm going to get their t-shirt. There are other groups that are decent, but that I'm not convinced of yet, so I'm not mentioning them. Why? Only the best for my readers. My helpings are hefty, not hasty.