Friday, November 04, 2005

you don't get this in molecular biology

I'm currently taking a class called Writing Fiction Workshop. In it, we all write short stories, and then everybody else workshops it and tells stuff that could be done to make it better. So far, I've been pretty impressed with some of them, especially compared to my last English writing workshop course. Most of the stories in it read as follows:


Josh and I went out behind the shed and smoked some pot. It was awesome. Then, the cops came by and we ran into the woods. That night, Chris and Matt showed up with some beer, and we drank it in the high school parking lot. It was awesome.


So you can see how it isn't hard to improve upon this. My current class, as good as it is, has included some real stinkeroos as of late. The stinkiest of the stinkerellis is one called "Him", which was a ghost story (the only one for a reason) about a kid going to a haunted mental hospital and contracting a ghost that makes him kill everybody. It uses lots of exclamation marks! and makes obvious that the ghost is shouting at everything! and leaves nothing to the imagination! It features characters named Officer Dave and Officer Marty, police who do nothing at all besides get in the way of the killer's mysterious rampage.



The story finishes in a foreshadowing tone wherein the murderous ghost moves into the useless narrator. Is this a sequel I smell?

I got up and looked around. No face, Yes! Then I heard it, "I am here with you know Maggie! Your brother was bad; will you listen?"