Tuesday, November 15, 2005

random

1. When I went into a bathroom stall today, I noticed the usual territorial markers, senseless insults, and offers for sexual satisfaction on the walls. But on the toilet was the brand name "AMERICAN STANDARD" written in gray near the handle. When I pressed the handle, it flushed with an excess of noise and water, a ten second vortex of obnoxious stupidness. Does this say that we Americans suck at making toilets, or is it trying to pay homage to our internationally recognized and immutably loathsome personality and culture?

2. Nascar's big man gets a huge suspension for a traffic infraction, while it took a congressional kick in the ass to get baseball to actually do something to big galoots who do drugs and give a bad name to role models in this country. I say: yay, nascar; I might get around to being interested in you some day, after a lobotomy or something. Sure you just drive cars, but you have some kind of solid ethics system that apparently doesn't fuck around.

3. The songs I find stuck in my head every day are best described as "stupid". Examples being the Stella theme song, Message To You Rudie, and Camel Walk. Am I stupid? That or maybe my brain is just so big that I have to purge it throughout the day with random bullshit.

4. Idealogues plagued campus today, spreading faster than the avian bird flu through a crowd of chinks. Dick Cheney came to dedicate something that politicians would dedicate, and one of UT's finest street preachers was out in a plaza. Both men drew impressive crowds and impressive jeers from the people. When people did this to Cheney, they got kicked out. When people did it to the street preacher, it was because his analogy involving an extension cord had gone wrong and he forgot his line. I felt kind of the sorry for the guy (the preacher, not the VP), but then I remembered he was telling me what to think and I pointed and laughed. Dick.