Tuesday, October 04, 2005

oy

This summer, when I lived in Minneapolis with my bro, my room was next to an alley in which trash bins were stored. Once a week, the trash truck would show up at about 6:00 in the morning, and make the biggest damn racket you can imagine. It was laughable. Really, the only way you could cope with it was laughter because these guys sounded like they were trying to wake you up by banging shit together and keeping their truck in that alleyway as long as they could.

Now I live in a relatively quiet part of Knoxville, but one that is also pretty close to the interstate. Not too close though, as there is a big hill between me and it so traffic is unheard. However, there is contruction on a hill across the street from my window. There are the characteristic sounds of heavy equipment that the alleyway trash guys made me accustomed to, especially the "BOOP BOOP BOOP BOOP" of the truck backing up. Only difference is, the men start constructing at roughly 5:30 or 6:00 every day now. That BOOPing sound drives me insane in the membrane, thanks partially to my insomnia as it is.

It's gotten to the point where I want to walk outside in lay down in the mud in front of the bulldozer in my bathrobe and demand to talk to someone from the city. Then one of the foremen will come out and we'll argue before the Earth is destroyed for a hyperspace bypass.