Wednesday, January 04, 2006

I'm getting my teeth yanked out today and am a little scared. One of my wisdom teeth is growing in sideways and rams into all the others, leading them to be upset and socially anxious. My main concern with all this is that they're going to have me be awake for the duration of the procedure. Granted, yes, I'll be on enough drugs to send me back in time, I just hope that I don't remember what they do and have nightmares or something like that. That and the pain. Surgery I am not accustomed to and don't want to occur frequently.

In addition to this I can't eat anything all day before I go, because if I do I might puke all over the surgeon, and he isn't somebody I want to piss off. I once sat in and witnessed this procedure done on someone else. When the tooth is too unruly to just come out on its own, they stick a chisel down in the middle of it, hammer it into the tooth, and twist. It makes a crunching, popping sound. When this sound was made in the OR, all of the other doctors and nurses winced. The shards were then pulled out with relative ease.